Monday, September 12, 2011

Inner Vision: Day 51 - 55



Day 51
: Graffiti
The narrow view of the graffiti through the fences gives a "peeping tom" sense to this scene. It's as if the curtains are being pulled apart on a secret scene.

When: 11 May, 7:29 a.m.
Where: Alton Road between 9th and 10th, South Beach
Inner Thoughts: I just liked how the light looked in this empty lot and coming through the green fences.

Jennifer Kay is a Miami-based reporter for The Associated Press who has enrolled in Iris' IPC Visual Lab. Before moving to Miami in 2005, Kay was an editorial assistant in the AP’s Philadelphia bureau, and previously graduated in 2001 from Dartmouth College, where she was the photography editor of the daily student newspaper. Kay is looking to expand her knowledge of the visual language and to engage in the process of visual story-telling. Her blog will be a common feature for the next several month on the Iris PhotoCollective's Iris Rising series.



Day 52: Light
Cropping out the tree at the bottom eliminates the composition problem the tree posed. Doing so focuses on the light and abstract elements in the building reflecting the morning light.

When: 12 May, 7:17 a.m.
Where: 6th and Alton, South Beach
Inner Thoughts: I wish the tree was better framed here. This flyover is the favorite part whenever I drive onto the beach, and on this morning I really liked the tone of the light reflecting off the glass windows and the concrete.



Day 53: Imbalance
There would be symmetry, except for this group of people oddly clustered together at one end of the frame.

When: 13 May, 8:47 p.m.
Where: Terminal D, Miami International Airport
Inner Thoughts: I really like airports, the feeling of perpetual motion toward a vanishing point. This group of people had so much escalator space available to them, yet they all clustered together, even though I don't think they were traveling together.



Day 54: Red light
I could have solved the light problem by just focusing on the hand pouring the drink in the first place, instead of trying to get in the whole scene.

When: 14 May, 11:35 p.m.
Where: The Elbow Room, Pensacola
Inner Thoughts: Someday, I'm going to notice the bright white spot of light that distracts the eye in my frames *before* I press the shutter. Someday.



When: 15 May, 3:33 p.m.
Where: Pensacola, Florida
What: Sherman, my friend Kris' miniature pincher
Inner Thoughts: I don't know how to solve this problem: Where should I have been setting my light meter, on the dog or the porch?

No comments:

Post a Comment