Sunday, September 18, 2011

Inner Vision: Day 66 - 70

Jennifer Kay is a Miami-based reporter for The Associated Press who has enrolled in Iris' IPC Visual Lab. Before moving to Miami in 2005, Kay was an editorial assistant in the AP’s Philadelphia bureau, and previously graduated in 2001 from Dartmouth College, where she was the photography editor of the daily student newspaper. Kay is looking to expand her knowledge of the visual language and to engage in the process of visual story-telling. Her blog has been a common feature for the past several month on the Iris PhotoCollective's Iris Rising series.



Day 66 : Glorious Heat

At Carl's suggestion, I shot the free "road rally" on Biscayne Boulevard for Miami Heat fans, a concert followed by a live broadcast of the game in Chicago outside AmericanAirlines Arena. I thought a lot about what Andre Chung had told me the previous week about grounding the frames for the viewers. I'm still not 100 percent sure of what he means, but I interpreted it as making the scene more clear instead of focusing on abstract elements.

I knew I would have some limitations with my digital point-and-shoot camera with the low natural light and explosive floodlights. So, I tried to stay near sources of light while framing the scene without distracting splotches of white light. I stuck to the automatic setting on my camera because, despite some blurring of action, it was more steady than the manual setting.

I also tried to remember to show the things that make this scene in Miami unique: the good-looking people and the mix of people, excitement about the basketball game, the colors people were wearing and waving around.

There's one question raised to which there is no answer: What is it about T-shirt cannons that makes people lose their minds?



Day 67 : Sinful Pleasures

When: 27 May, 10:46 p.m.
Where: my balcony, South Beach
Inner Thoughts: I got an iPhone! Finally! And so, I get a little lazy, because I've spent most of the evening finding cool apps to download.




Day 68 : Shadows

When: 28 May, 9:01 a.m.
Where: my apartment, South Beach
Inner Thoughts: I woke up early on a Saturday for class, and I caught the curved shadows my curtains made in the morning light. Mmmm, abstract light and shadows, my favorite!



Day 69: Dock

When: 29 May, 9:01 p.m.
Where: dockside, South Beach
Exposure: F3.6 1/2.5 ISO800
Inner Thoughts
: I waited so late to pick up a camera today. I think this would have ended up more interesting from a lower angle.




Day 70: Ride

When: 30 May, 6:41p.m.
Where: Venetian Causeway
Exposure: taken with iPhone camera
Inner Thoughts: I don't know if you've seen "The Killing" on AMC, but in the opening credits there's a sequence of a drawbridge and flashing red lights shot through a windshield, and it looks really cool. So, when I found myself stopped at a drawbridge and watching flashing red lights, I tried to make something out of it.

Aaaaand that's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment